There are many employee competencies that simply need to be met for businesses to be compliant with legal regulations. Fortunately, through Verification of Competency, it has become easier to examine the capability of potential new employees and to ensure the efficiency of your existing workforce.
What is Verification of Competency?
Verification of Competency (VOC) is a method of assessment used to demonstrate workers’ knowledge and ability to operate an equipment and/or undertake an industry-specific task. This extends to verifying previous work experiences, formal training, knowledge testing and demonstration of skills. It is worth noting that employers and employees who obtained the relevant training years ago may now be required to demonstrate an understanding of the current industry standards and regulations.
How does VOC help?
- Through VOC, employers can properly assess and ensure a worker’s ability to operate equipment or perform tasks relevant to their role. Conversely, this allows a worker to clearly demonstrate the skill level that is stated on their resume.
- VOC can also be used by employers for pre-employment checks, site requirements, and contract negotiations.
- VOC guarantees that a business complies with Occupational Health, and Safety (OHS) regulations, promoting a safer working environment.
How to get verified?
- Determine the employees who need to undertake VOC.
- Check their availability and arrange the assessment date.
- Ensure they submit any relevant license, certification or Statement of Attainment.
- Check relevant work documents or logbooks that will help determine the current competency level of these employees.
- Provide any additional training that may be required to ensure successful results.
- Choose a reputable company to facilitate the VOC assessment, provide gap analysis and refresher training (if needed).
Site Skills Training
Current industry regulations require employers and Persons Conducting a Business or Undertaking (PCBU) to ensure their workers can clearly demonstrate the ability to perform tasks related to their job. At Site Skills Training, we streamline this process.
We provide verification of competency in accordance with industry benchmarks, including Australian standards, company procedures, manufacturer instructions, and health and safety legislation. Our VOC program covers industrial skills and high risk positions such as:
- Pipe Fitter
- Crane Operator
- Heavy Diesel Operator
- Camp Service Staff
- Mechanical Fitter
Our assessors are Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) who have years of experience in managing skills assessment, gap analysis and training. We have been carrying out competency verification for a variety of high profile, international companies in the mining, construction, and oil and gas industries. We are also authorised to undertake VOCs for companies such as BHP Billiton, Rio Tinto, INPEX (NT) and Bechtel (Wheatstone).
Site Skills Training has designated facilities in Australia, Philippines, and Papua New Guinea to allow for comprehensive training and assessment. For your further convenience, we also offer on-site assessment, allowing your operation to continue without any interruption in productivity.
If you are interested to learn more about how we can help ensure your business remains compliant, enquire here.